3D Printing is available by appointment. Please reserve a time slot to print in Manhattan or Wisser. Come in at anytime for assistance with getting models ready to print and determining the estimated print time. Find details of the available printers below.
3D Design is supported by our NextEngine 3D scanner and design workstations, providing a full range of 3D design software. View our list of pre-made 3D designs and software.
Use the free MakerBot Desktop App to preview and prepare your design before printing
You may pay directly for filament used in your print at the Innovation Labs or bring your own MakerBot 1.75 mm PLA material in order to print.
MakerBot PLA filament can be purchased online at:
1.75 MM [0.069 IN]
MAKERBOT PLA FILAMENT LARGE SPOOL
Use the free Cura Lulzbot Edition software to prepare your .stl design file for printing.
You may pay directly for filament used in your print at the Innovation Labs or bring your own standard 3 mm (0.1 in) filament material in order to print.
Recommended filament can be purchased from:
TAZ 6 has a 280mm x 280mm x 250mm (11 in x 11 in x 9.8in) print area with a heated print surface.
Capable Materials: ABS, PLA, HIPS, PVA, wood filled filaments, Polyester (Tritan), PETT, bronze, copper, stainless steel-filled filaments, Polycarbonate, Nylon, PETG, conductive PLA and ABS, UV luminescent filaments, PCTPE, PC-ABS, Alloy 910
NextEngine 3D Scanner
Scans can be output as STL, OBJ, VRML, XYZ, and PLY files.
- Field Size: 5.1" x 3.8" (Macro) and 13.5" x 10.1" (Wide).
- Capture Density: On target surface capture up to 268K points/in²(Marco), 29K points/in² (Wide).
- Texture Density: 500 DPI on target surfaces is 500 DPI in Macro Mode and 200 DPI in Wide Mode.
- Dimensional Accuracy: ±0.005" in Macro Mode and ±0.015" in Wide Mode.
- Acquisition Speed: 50,000 processed points/sec throughput. Typically 2 minutes per scan of each facet.
Request from Staff, Rm 302
Getting Started with 3D Design
Download Pre-Made Designs
- Thingiverse - Find ready-to-print designs of all types. made by members of the Thingiverse online community
- Yobi3d - Search engine for finding 3D design files.
- Clara.io - Library of Free Designs Selection of 3D designs, made available for free by the cloud-based 3D modeling, animation and rendering software company.
- Sketchfab - A community of over half a million creators contributing over a million 3D models
- Pinshape Marketplace - A curated selection of premium and free STL files.
- Threeding - Marketplace - 3D design marketplace with many free design availalbe
- My Mini Factory - A curated social platform for 3D printable objects.
3D Design Software - Free
- Tinkercad Web-based, easy-to-use 3d design software. No design experience required.
- 123D Design 123D Design is a free, powerful, yet simple 3D creation and editing tool. Available for Mac and Windows PC
- FreeCAD FreeCAD is a free and open-source (under the LGPLv2+ license) general-purpose parametric 3D CAD modeler. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Printing Preparation Software
- Cura Lulzbot Edition Free Software program that prepares your files for printing on the Lulzbot Taz6 printer. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- MakerBot Desktop Software for creating a printable object from an STL file- For Makerbot Z18 printer. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux
- MakerBot Print Software for creating a printable object from an STL file- For Makerbot Z18 printer. Available for Windows and Mac
3D Printing is available to all NYIT Students in the Library Innovation Labs.
For assistance with any step in the process stop into the Innovation Labs or contact us.
To get started:
- Prepare your design in an .stl file
- Contact staff at our Manhattan or Wisser locations to request a time slot.
- For time and cost estimate use the Makerbot or Lulzbot desktop software to prepare your print
- You can also send your file to Innovation Lab staff for an estimate.
- Visit the Innovation Labs, staff will setup your print.
Printing is available on the Makerbot Z18 printer at a cost of:
(20 grams & below)
$0.15 per additional gram
You may supply your own filament (approved by staff) for no charge printing services. Load/unload must be performed by staff (Manhattan Only).
Available Design Software:
- Cura 21.00 | LULZBOT
- MakerBot Desktop
- Autodesk Design Review 2013
- Autodesk Advanced Material Library 2017
- Autodesk Desktop App
- Autodesk Backburner 2017
- Autodesk Site Designer Extension for Revit
- Autodesk AutoCAD MEP 2017 SP1
- Autodesk AutoCAD Performance Feedback Tool 1.2.5
- Autodesk Inventor 2017 SP1
- Obj EXPORTER FOR NAVISWORKS
- Autodesk Configurator 360 addin
- Lighting Analysis
- SketchUp Import 2016-2017
- Rhinoceros 5
- V-Ray for Rhinoceros 5
- Weaver bird
Adobe CC Creative Suite
- Adobe Audition CC 2015.2
- Adobe Animate CC 2015.2
- Adobe Illustrator CC 2015.3
- Adobe Bridge CC 2015
- Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5
- Adobe Prelude CC 2015.4
- Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.3
- Adobe Muse CC 2015
- Adobe Fuse CC
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2015
- Adobe InDesign CC 2015
- Adobe Lightroom
- Adobe Flash Builder 4.7
- Adobe Fireworks CS6
- Adobe SpeedGrade CC 2015